You can't beat a pavlova recipe for Christmas dessert. This recipe created by Kate Waterhouse for Macquarie Centre is easy, elegant and extra delicious!
This recipe calls for fresh ingredients - all of which are easily accessible from supermarkets including Coles, Woolworths or Aldi, with fresh fruit available from Panetta Mercato.
Raspberries in this recipe can be easily substituted with any fruit of your choice such as cherries or strawberries which pair exceptionally with the chocolate base. Kate's kids got involved in the decorating process and yours can too!
Keep on reading for the full recipe and give it a go. It will be an afternoon of fun before serving the dish up to all of your guests who are sure to be impressed!
- Cooking - 1.5hrs
- Cooling - 4hrs (preferably overnight)
- 6 egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa, sifted
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 500ml thickened cream
- 500g raspberries or cherries from Panetta Mercato
- 100g dark chocolate, shaved
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Beat egg whites for approximately 5 minutes, until satiny peaks form
- Beat in the sugar, 1 spoonful at a time, until the meringue is stiff and shiny
- Sift over cocoa
- Add vinegar and chopped chocolate
- Gently fold in with large spoon
- Cover baking sheet with baking paper, dollop meringue on sheet creating a large high circle approximately 20cm wide, smooth sides and peak the top
- Place in oven, turning the heat down to 150 degrees Celsius and cook for 80mins before turning off oven and letting it cool completely in oven. If possible, it would be best to make this night before to allow for the necessary cooling time.
When ready to serve, whip cream and spread over pavlova. Decorate with berries / cherries and shaved chocolate as desired.