LEFTOVER CHRISTMAS HAM FRIED RICE
Makeover your leftover ham into a delicious fried rice for dinners or lunches over the holiday period – you can dice leftover ham and freeze it in portions to use in this recipe over the coming months too. This dish is best make using leftover cooked and chilled rice – so cook extra next time you’re having it as a base and reimagine it into fried rice!
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 small brown onion | Panetta Mercato
- 2 garlic cloves | Panetta Mercato
- 2 spring onions | Panetta Mercato
- 1 cup diced vegetables*
- 150g leftover Christmas ham | Tender Gourmet Butchery
- 2 eggs | Panetta Mercato
- 2 cups cooked, cold rice* or a 250g microwave rice pouch
- 2 tbsp light-tasting olive oil
- 1 tbsp mirin or Chinese cooking wine | Miracle Supermarket
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce | Miracle Supermarket
- 1 tbsp soy sauce | Miracle Supermarket
- 1 tsp sesame oil or olive oil | Miracle Supermarket
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Peel and finely dice onion. Peel and crush garlic. Slice spring onions. Finely dice vegetables *if using fresh. Finely dice ham. Whisk eggs in a bowl. In another bowl mix all sauce ingredients.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and add onion and ham. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add vegetables and cook, stirring for a minute. Add rice and stir until no longer lumpy. Add garlic and pour in the sauce, mix well.
- Move rice off to the side of the pan and add in whisked eggs. Scramble until set. Add spring onions and stir everything to combine. Remove from heat and serve.
*NOTES: you can use frozen mixed vegetables here, no need to defrost (carrot, peas and corn mix for example) or use fresh, finely chopped - carrot, celery, broccoli or broccolini work really well. The rice must be completely cold – chilled overnight in the fridge - otherwise your fried rice will turn into mush.