The team at Woolworths have done the hard work for you this Easter with a recipie that will work for even those who are gluten intolerant!
Gluten Free Hot-Cross Buns
70 minutes prep
20 minutes cook
- 1½ cups warm milk
- 2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
- 750g pkt Woolworths Free From Gluten Plain Flour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup sultanas
- 125g butter, melted, plus 1 tbs extra, for glazing
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Transfer 1/2 cup milk to a jug and stir in yeast. Set aside for 10 minutes until frothy.
2. Meanwhile, reserve ¼ cup flour in a small bowl. Combine remaining flour, sugar, mixed spice, salt and sultanas in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add melted butter, egg, yeast mixture and enough of the remaining milk to form a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Clean and grease the bowl. Return dough to the bowl. Cover with plastic and a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven to 190°c. Grease a 20 x 30cm slice pan.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes. Divide into 12 even pieces. Arrange snugly in the pan.
5. Add 2-3 tbs water to the reserved flour to make a thick paste. Transfer to a small snap-lock bag and snip off the corner. Brush tops of buns with extra melted butter, then use flour paste to pipe crosses on tops of buns. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve with your favourite toppings.
Woolworths is available on Level 2 of Macquarie Centre.